July 21, 2011

Things That Lurk

If only this were so innocent as it looked.

So, today has inspired rage and disgust in a number of ways, as well as a minor concern for myself. See that little bowl of rice? That was going to be part of a recipe that I was going to feature on my blog. It was also intended to be my lunch.
Yet, for some bizarre reason, I don't trust my nose. So this post is all about kitchen hazards and trusting your nose. As many of us know, chicken stock was the preferred medium for growing bacterial cultures before agar-agar was used, primarily because it was pH neutral and contained adequate nutrients.
Ideally, I would've remembered this when I went to start my rice. Maybe you'll see why.

Chicken Tinged Rice with Cloves
Serves an unknown number, as it was swiftly discarded.

1 cup chicken broth
1 cup water
1 cup white rice
liberal pinch of cloves

No directions, as they're just not worth posting at the moment. Just make it like you'd typically make rice. If you make rice.
So, the part where I should've just trusted my nose.... If you open up your (untouched) carton of chicken brother, and you're greeted with a scent reminiscent of dragon flatus, THROW IT AWAY. Don't just assume that it's something else. And don't let yourself be placated into believe that maybe there's a dead mouse under the fridge.
Furthermore, don't assume that cooking it will necessarily kill anything living it (as there obviously is). So... I'm a fool.
I cooked. I ate. I tasted nothing identifiably suspicious.
I rethought, I double-checked the scent of the broth, I threw everything away.
Current health status: slightly nauseous (but that's in my head, I think). Otherwise healthy. Missing lunch, end of the week prevents a do-over.
The lamentable thing is that we have four more cartons of the stuff, and two ancient ones at the back of the fridge.
So, Pasteur and Lister, if ever you come back to life, I have PLENTY of chicken broth for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment